Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Tidal Wave...

So we set off on a fine Sunday morning towards Hikkaduwa because the kids wanted to see the coral reef and have a go on the glass bottom boats...

I being sick and all that was not in the mood to go...but did I have a choice with the kids? NO!

Little did I know what lay ahead...

Just past Kalutara and almost close to Beruwala one peculiarity we noticed was that the sea level was really high...but then...none of us thought too much about it...

And just then all I remember was a HUGE wave that just came onto shore and water everywhere and then...nothing...I was speechless...frozen...freaked...

At that moment...I knew it...i was dead.

I saw bodies go floating by, vehicles, houses, trees and even boats...

All we could do was pray, and pray we did incessantly...

The water kept on rising, it started to fill up the van as well...by then the water was at least 4 and a half feet high...

After half an hour -- that felt like a few million lifetimes...the water receded...

But all over death, destruction, crying children, people...

It was horrible.

By the grace of Almighty Allah we were saved.

OH GOSH! Never thought I'd live to see another day...

5 comments:

E said...

Oh thank god to almighty Allah, we still have our pain in the bla bla bla Nuzi baby right here with us... love you Nuzziiii (I'm dead meat:S)

expect the unexpected said...

u woman all this happend u never told us???wats wrong with u???

E said...

Yeahhhh she never said anything about it!

of a cuddlywuddly & a monstrously cute creature said...

Sorry guys... :(

Tasha said...

Lucky u!

how did u escape?